Re: Shishi interop server running

From: Mats Erik Andersson
Subject: Re: Shishi interop server running
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:52:44 +0200

onsdag den  8 augusti 2012 klockan 15:18 skrev Simon Josefsson detta:
> All,
>
> I have setup a Shishi KDC for interop purposes on interop.josefsson.org.
> The server is running Ubuntu 12.04 with Shishi installed from packages.

There is one issue with ticket life times in the present setup.

An outdated OpenSolaris, as well as a contemporary OpenIndiana, are
both receiving TGT:s of almost infinite validity when requested by
kinit(1) without specifying a desired life time at the command line.

In fact, the ticket is valid until 2037-12-31, at 00:00. Using
instead "kinit -l 2h" provides the bounded, and correct expiry time.

The interpretation is that libshishi must initialize a sane default,
even if the administrator does not ask for this explicitly. It seems
as if the other MIT derived implementations, and those based on Heimdal,
are by themselves imposing a reasonable time limit already in kinit(1),
just as shishi(1) does itself. I do not think that Shishi should rely
on this, but should instead improve in the sense of setting a finite
interval as default initialization.

Also, probably the authorization value of the TELNET server should
be raised to "-avalid".

Best regards,

  Mats Erik Andersson