help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] lessons from the python environment

From: Brian Brown
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] lessons from the python environment
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:00:44 -0600

On Sep 7, 2004, at 2:19 AM, Robert Collins wrote:

This is a great discussion, and somewhat ironic, as I and another developer were discussing how to bring some Smalltalk-isms into Python, like a real workspace and transcript (ala Squeak, VW).

I mainly work in two languages right now, Python and Squeak Smalltalk, but I want to be able to do scripting sorts of things and use Smalltalk for more general purpose tasks, and so have recently started following this list and playing with GST.

vim-python, which was my example, allows immediate evaluation of python
code fragments... the hypothetical vim-smalltalk would likewise allow
smalltalk code fragment evaluation.

This is enabled by linking the Vim executable with the core python shared lib. Would this be possible in GST? Btw, I agree with your earlier statement about people getting used to their enviroments. I've even used a Squeak package that provides Vim compatible key bindings for the browsers and workspace (Disturbed, I know :-)

Brian

--
http://www.techgame.net/projects

Rob