help-tar

[Help-tar] Amending contents of absolute-path tar files without extracti

From: Nick Lewis
Subject: [Help-tar] Amending contents of absolute-path tar files without extracting to root dir
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:05:30 +0100

Can someone please suggest a solution to my tar problem

I have tars that contain files with absolute paths and wish to replace some of the files. However I do not wish to extract all the files into the root directory as this will adversely affect operation of my computer. Therefore I wish to extract the files to a subdirectory, make the desired replacements and tar it all up again with the paths appearing as before. Is there something like a --make-absolute tar option that will prefix the filenames with a slash? If not is there a grep/sed script that could reliably find path names in the tar and slash prefix them?

Best Regards
Nick

This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
Disclaimer of Liability
ATL Telecom Ltd shall not be held liable for any improper or incorrect use of the information described and/or contained herein and assumes no responsibility for anyones use of the information. In no event shall ATL Telecom Ltd be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, procurement or substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort (including negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of this system, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.

Registered Office: ATL Telecom Ltd, Fountain Lane, St. Mellons Cardiff, CF3 0FB
Registered in Wales Number 4335781

All goods and services supplied by ATL Telecom Ltd are supplied subject to ATL Telecom Ltd standard terms and conditions, available upon request.