Re: [help-texinfo] Problems with makeinfo --xml and nco.texi

From: Charlie Zender
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Problems with makeinfo --xml and nco.texi
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:41:15 -0700

Hi Alper,

My goal is to create an nco.xml file that I can distribute/put on the
web and that people can view with any XML-capable browser.
I thought the XML output of makeinfo --xml would produce such files.
Do I need to do post-processing with xmllint after makeinfo --xml?
I have never used xmllint before. I just ran it and it basically ran
fine but I am  no closer to having an nco.xml file that is viewable
on the web (I checked and mozilla does not understand the output
foo.xml of

export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=texinfo.cat;xmllint --catalogs --loaddtd nco.xml > foo.xml

I am pretty sure you will get the same results if you try makeinfo --xml
on

http://nco.sf.net/nco.texi

and that you will be unable to view the
resulting nco.xml in an XML-compliant browser  like mozlila.
Am I missing something about the purpose of makeinfo --xml?
Is it not intended to produce viewable XML files?

If anyone with makeinfo experience could please tell me how to
produce a mozilla-viewable .xml file from nco.texi I would very
much appreciate it. It should only take a few seconds to verify
that your suggestion works, or that there are problems with
makeinfo --xml.

Charlie
--

Charlie Zender, address@hidden, (949) 824-2987, Department of Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100