Re: [help-texinfo] Need help with texinfo (beginner inside)

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Need help with texinfo (beginner inside)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:49:46 -0500

Hi Nicolas,

    We're still hesitating between working on that texinfo file or
    converting it to Latex.

I would encourage you to keep it in Texinfo, because (a) that will make
it easier for you to import changes in the "official" manual, and (b) it
is lot easier to generate decent html (and plain text and info and xml) from
Texinfo than from LaTeX, and no harder to generate pdf.

    - I can't get ride of the empty lines after each @item in the .pdf
      document

Are you talking about the bullets appearing on lines by themselves, for
instance the
  *
    Foreign language translations ...
on page 5?  If so, the problem is in the input file.  There should be no
blank line after the item command.

By the way, that would be better written using @table anyway.  Then the
text for the item should be on the same line as the @item.
@table @b
@item Foreign language translations
These go into /usr/share/locale.

(And you should use @file for file names.)

    - I would like to reduce the margin on each side of the document in the
      .pdf, but I can't find the setting to modify

There is no direct command for setting margins, but I surmise you are in
Europe.  Does adding
@afourpaper
near the beginning of the doc (say, after the @settitle) make you
happier?