Re: [help-texinfo] Indenting a block of text

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Indenting a block of text
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:58:50 +0100

On 15.11.2011 at 23:18 address@hidden wrote:

>Hi Andreas,
>
>    should use a tableindent value of .5cm while all other tables should
>    use the default tableindent value? Is that possible somehow?
>
>You'll have to switch it back and forth manually.  Here's one
>possibility, untested:
>
>@macro startdescription
>@tex
>\global\tableindent = .8in  % the default
>@end tex
>@item Desciption
>@end macro
>
>@macro enddescription
>@tex
>\global\tableindent = .5cm  % reduced
>@end tex
>@end enddescription
>

>And start the description with
>@startdescription
>and end it with
>@enddescription
>
>Another way would be to have macros like @startinnertable and
>@endinnertable that similarly play with \tableindent and use those for
>the tables inside the description.

Thanks, it works like a charm now and magically reduced the length of my
*.pdf from 670 to 630 pages by making better use of the available page space.

There was just one minor mistake in your example which confused me at
first but which could be solved by looking into the manual: Backslashes
inside macros have to be escaped like this:

@macro enddescription
@tex
\\global\\tableindent = .5cm  % reduced
@end tex