Re: [help-texinfo] Hyperlinks in Texinfo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Hyperlinks in Texinfo
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 06:02:38 +0200

> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:09:46 +0100
> From: "Andreas Falkenhahn" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I did but AFAICS this will always generate a "See..." prefix for the
> reference. Of course, there's @ref but this will also generate some
> additional output like Section XX, Page YY, which I don't want.

The additional output is generated for printed versions of the manual,
where clicking is not (always) possible.  In on-line versions (Info,
HTML, etc.) there's no additional output from @ref.

> What
> I'd like to have is that a single term can be defined as a link, e.g. like
> the following: (pseudo texi following)
>
> Click @definelink{this link,mynode1234} to jump to mynode1234.
>
> This should generate the following text:
>
> Click this link to jump to mynode1234.

  Click @ref{mynode1234, this link} to jump to mynode1234

should do that.

> And the term "this link" should be a hyperlink that, when clicked,
> jumps to @node mynode1234. Of course, this doesn't make sense
> in printed output, but for PDF or HTML output it could be quite
> useful.

You should have that in HTML.  As for PDF, Texinfo produces it as a
printed version; if you want a PDF that's only read on-line, I suggest
to take the HTML version and convert it to PDF.