Re: [help-texinfo] Consecutive spaces in node titles?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Consecutive spaces in node titles?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:02:53 -0800

    * should spaces in menu entries not be transformed in one space,
      although it is what is setup in the `HTML Cross References' spec?

No, why should it be different in @menu?

    * should spaces not be transformed in one space but kept as is in
      @verb and @w?

In @w, no, it should be one space.

In @verb, I'm not sure.  I expect the TeX output is two spaces, although
I haven't tried it.

    * shoud @ @ follow the rule on normal spaces, and therefore be
      transformed in one space?

Here the user has explicitly given the space command twice.  I think the
result should be two spaces, as you say it is now.  And I think the
output should be that way in texinfo.tex, though I haven't tried.
Haven't tried in a node name either.  Can you do that?  I'm so far
behind ...

    The error for `a.@ @ b' looks wrong.

I think it's ok.  The menu entry should be written the same way:
Does that work (no warning)?

    c.texi:6: warning: Node expansion `c. d' in menu differs from normal node
expansion `c.  d'
    c.texi:7: warning: Node expansion `e. f' in menu differs from normal node
expansion `e.  f'

I think those warnings are fine too.  People should fix their input
files, and it is trivial to do.

Thanks,
karl