Re: [help-texinfo] Suppressing "Underfull \hbox (badness 10000)" warning

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Suppressing "Underfull \hbox (badness 10000)" warnings
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 23:09:33 GMT

    Is there any way to suppress those "Underfull \hbox (badness 10000)"
    warnings when using texi2pdf?

@tex
\global\hbadness=10000
@end tex

(It just suppresses the warnings, does not affect typesetting.)

texinfo.tex already sets \hbadness considerably higher than the
default. If a normal paragraph line has a badness of 10000, that's
extremely spacey. But I understand preferring to live with it rather
than rewrite text, or otherwise worry about it.

By the way, you can get rid of the black boxes with the Texinfo command:
@finalout

The lines will still be reported as overfull, but the black boxes will
not be printed. Independently, you can turn off the overfull reports, as in:
@tex
\global\hfuzz=4pt
@end tex
Then only lines that are more than 4pt overfull (which would normally be
quite visible) would get reported.

Hope this helps,
Karl

P.S. Gavin: FWIW, I think \letterpaper should set \hfuzz=1pt, since
\afourpaper and others do. I also see no reason for \afivepaper to use
\hfuzz=1.2pt when everything else uses 1pt. Perhaps best: make
\hfuzz=1pt the default outside of any paper size, and remove all the
paper-size-specific settings.