help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] delay between tracks on an SVCD

From: Herbert Valerio Riedel
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] delay between tracks on an SVCD
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:24:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Matto Marjanovic wrote:
> After a couple of days rest, I have fixed up that code a bit, and will
>  send out a revised version this weekend; I can post it to help-vcdimager,
>  too.  The code allows you to give vcdimager a file which specifies how
>  to create PSD.VCD --- you define a series of selection lists and play
>  lists and tell how to link them together.  (It also affects/effects
>  INFO.VCD as well, since that is just the list directory.)
> It only allows you to do this with the VCD2 format, just because that
>  is what I was testing, and I didn't go and try to figure out if it was
>  sufficient for SVCD as well.
the same PBC is valid for SVCD too! :-)

btw, there's something like multiple default timeout targets in selection
lists, which aren't documented yet in the header file... I don't know if
that's supported in VCD2.0 already...

it's basically a selection list feature, enabling you to jump to
destination, based on the section of the item you are actually viewing...

e.g. you can have a slide show, or some kind of 5secs movie samples
concatted into an mpeg stream, and if you are interested in the one you
are seeing, you can jump by pressing the 'select' function to the
destination associated with that time-segment... neat... isn't it? :)
(it works together with entry points as border marking...)

> I am in the midst of adding code for specifying tracks and entry points
>  to this scheme, which would allow you to accomplish this:

>  >btw, a solution I'm thinking of, is to create chapter entries, pointing
>  >directly to the end of those blank lead in sectors, and having the play
>  >list referencing that entry point as play item(s) with a wait time of 0
>  >secs...
>
>  To this end, I've got a question about "entries":  exactly when/how are
>  they used?  Are they used at all when the disk is played without PBC,
>  or are they only used when a PSD List Item specifies 'entry #N' ?
they are used for chapter based play mode, it's supported for VCD1.1 as
well, where no PBC is available...

but they are not used (afaik) for track based playing, where the player
just jumps to the track beginning...

>  The entry lists created by vcdimager, and the one on the lone commercial
>  VCD I own ("Duran Duran's Greatest") are both the same:  one entry for
>  each track, containing the track number and the absolute MSF start point
>  of the track.  If you create extra entries, which point into the middle
>  of a track (absolutely), what is the purpose of the track number?
just redundand information... :-)
maybe the player doesn't want to remember the cd toc...

the entry point would be identified by the sector address already... the
track number is just a mandatory extra information...

>  (I guess I can figure some of this out by playing with it, but why waste
>  time if someone already knows the answer....)
>
> After that, the only thing left will be "segment items"....
that's my biggest headache at the moment...

it's something I wanted to do, later... but well... if I find some time
I'll do it earlier...

well, and XML :-)

that's the only thing I don't like yet about the actual PBC hack =)

...are you interesting in helping me out on the XML'ification? :)

greetings,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel      /     Finger address@hidden for GnuPG Public Key
GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 7BB9 2D6C D485 CE64 4748  5F65 4981 E064 883F 4142