help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] Menus, PSD files...

From: Jorgensen, Jens
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] Menus, PSD files...
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:19:13 -0500

Chris Gallaty wrote:

> Hello,
>         I'm just getting into VCDs here. I was wondering if there are is
> [snip]
>         Currently I have a cheap Dazzle parallel port dongle (the older
> one, not the DV) While the VCD setting in the Amigo software is nice, I
> still have to rip apart the adio and video streams and re-weave them
> before buring. That and the quality is low. I think it's the fact that the
> hardware can't cache that many macro blocks and so on scenes where it
> should only be updating part of the screen, it's actually reencoding the
> static parts and you get this jitter-bug effect going on. Kinda like
> watching Dr. Katz. I was just thrilled to get video from a tape to a VCD
> for the first time. :) Now I'm looking at the amount of stuff I want to
> convert and the effort/quality equations are starting to concern me.

VCD quality is not as good as SVCD because a) it only uses MPEG-1 and b) the
resolution and bitrates are less (Herbert: correct on this one if I am
incorrect but I believe this is correct--is this wrong if we are considering
VCD2.0?). You should check out creating SVCDs.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
address@hidden