heroes-discuss

Re: [Heroes] sound-effects and sound-tracks

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: [Heroes] sound-effects and sound-tracks
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:41:58 +0100

>>> "Jean" == Jean Delvare <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Jean> Aren't the sound-tracks and sound-effects
 Jean> "modules" supposed to be independant?

The player thread plays both the sound-tracks and the
sound-effects, however it is (re)started only when a sound-track
is loaded.  Therefore you can't get sfx without music.
This is also reflected on the command-line switches:

  -S, --no-sound              disable sound
  -X, --no-sfx                disable sound-effects

there is no way to disable only the music.

I think this strange logic is a heritage of the DOS version of
the game, in which the module player wouldn't allow sound-effects
without music.  This is probably a wrong assumption today, I
never checked.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz