hurd-devel

Re: pthreads

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: Re: pthreads
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 06:03:30 -0400 (EDT)

> Roland, you once said that you wanted a complete rewrite of the Hurd
> signal code currently in glibc.  Could you share the design with me
> and whether you think I should implement that or just port the current
> code in glibc for now?

I think the rewriting that should be done is pretty much orthogonal to an
L4 port.

> As is quite obvious, the Hurd uses cthreads.  Should I try to maintain
> a cthreads compatibility layer in my pthread implementation (this is
> the way that Mark was leaning)?  An alternative would be to just
> convert the current code to use pthread unconditionally.  If we did
> this, would it be better to provide a simple pthreads layer on top of
> cthreads or to just ignore the incompatibility?

We won't merge changes to the hurd code until we have pthreads on Mach too.
A cthreads compatibility layer on your pthreads library should be a few
trivial macros, modulo hurd_check_cancel, which I think you should just
implement instead of the pthreads cancellation semantics for the time being
to make things simpler.