hurd-devel

Re: pthreads

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: pthreads
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:39:40 +0200

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 09:07:49PM +0200, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> > We won't merge changes to the hurd code until we have pthreads on
> > Mach too.
>
> You win.  I sat down this afternoon and ported my implementation to
> Mach.  You can find it here [1].

Cool work.  I am missing a couple of guidelines where to put what, though.
It seems there is a hurd.diff to make it part of the Hurd, but there is also
a pthread/pthread.patch that touches glibc.

I can not see a full cthread wrapper in there that would allow to compile
the Hurd using cthreads on L4.  Do you plan to add that?

It seems we have now a strategy to put pthread support into the
Hurd.  Neal's package can add pthreads to the Hurd source without touching
glibc, and applications will just work.  The Hurd itself would still use
cthreads, and glibc would not need to be changed (as the few callbacks it
has into the thread package are provided by pthread).

This would allow us to develop the pthread package witout directly worrying
xabout glibc, and put off some prssure (many Debian packages require
pthread) so integration into glibc can happen at its own pace.

If I have understood all of the above correctly, is that a viable plan?

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/