[igraph] Igraph python install problem

From: Daniel Chubb
Subject: [igraph] Igraph python install problem
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:42:56 +0100

Hi, I am having some trouble installing igraph and would appreciate some help in figuring out what's going wrong. I have mostly hacked things together in perl in the past and am fairly new to python (and C) so I might be missing something obvious.

My programming platform is a linux-x86_64 system. I have python installed in my home directory on our network so that I can install packages without bothering our sysadmin.

I am trying to install igraph and the python extension module. I installed igraph in to my home directory:
./configure --prefix=/homedir --disable-graphml
make
make install

I then, installed the python extension after changing the LIBIGRAPH_FALLBACK_INCLUDE_DIRS, LIBIGRAPH_FALLBACK_LIBRARIES and LIBIGRAPH_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_DIRS is setup.py to point towards my igraph installed directories. It seemed to install OK, but when I try and import igraph or run the test.py script I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "..../python/python-igraph-0.5.1/test.py", line 11, in <module>
    import igraph.test
  File "build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.5/igraph/__init__.py", line 30, in <module>
ImportError: /bmm/home/dc101/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/igraph/core.so: undefined symbol: igraph_vector_destroy

I can't think what's gone wrong and I'd appreciate any ideas that anyone might have.

Thanks a lot.

Dan