Re: [igraph] problems with parameters in barabasi.game()

From: Csardi Gabor
Subject: Re: [igraph] problems with parameters in barabasi.game()
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:36:31 +0200

Hi Mario,

1) You probably don't want to use out.pref=TRUE, because that means
   that k(i) is total degree and I think in the papers it was in-degree.
2) You cannot really do P[i] ~ k(i) if k(i) is in-degree, because then
   the zero degree vertices have to chance to gain incoming edges.
3) You can ignore the warning, I just forgot to remove it, the code
   itself uses the supplied 'zero.appeal' value.

Keeping these in mind, the results look a bit better to me:
(I removed the warning lines for readability.)

> g <- barabasi.game(100000, out.pref=FALSE, power=1, zero.appeal=1, m=4)
> power.law.fit(degree(g, mode="in"), xmin=15)
Coefficients:
   alpha
2.191552
> g <- barabasi.game(100000, out.pref=FALSE, power=1, zero.appeal=2, m=4)
> power.law.fit(degree(g, mode="in"), xmin=15)
Coefficients:
   alpha
2.357224
> g <- barabasi.game(100000, out.pref=FALSE, power=1, zero.appeal=2, m=3)
> power.law.fit(degree(g, mode="in"), xmin=15)
Coefficients:
   alpha
2.479433

It is still not the formula in the Dorogovtsev paper, though. I don't
know why, maybe they don't consider multiple edges, or the results are
only valid in some limit.

One problem with the current generator is that is created multiple
edges, and the degree distribution of the graph might change if you remove
these.

If you just want to have graphs with various power law degree distributions,
you might consider using 'degree.sequence.game', with method="vl", here
you can prescribe the exact degree distribution. It always generated
connected graphs, but probably this is not a problem.