[igraph] Non-atomic attributes?

From: Dan Auerbach
Subject: [igraph] Non-atomic attributes?
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:24:48 -0700

Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but a search through the list archives and the help and documentation on the igraph homepage hasn't helped so far...

Using 2.8.1 and 0.5.1,
In the R-igraph help it is stated:
"In recent igraph versions, arbitrary R objects can be assigned as graph, vertex or edge attributes."

I took this to mean that, for example, a vertex attribute could consist of vectors, matrices, lists, etc., but I can't seem to assign a vector as a vertex attribute, e.g.

>g=graph.lattice(c(3,1))
>V(g)[1]$test = c(1,2,3,4)
Warning message:
In graph[[9]][[3]][[name]][index + 1] <- value :
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length
> V(g)$test
[1] NA  1 NA

I've tried assigning pre-declared objects, e.g.

>a= c(1,2,3,4..)
>V(g)[1]$test = a

and assignments to all vertices first (rather to a than a single vertex index),
and I've tried to set the dim() on attributes,
but so far I can't assign anything other than atomics.
I can get around this with arrays that are referenced by vertex id, but it would be nice to integrate the info into the single graph data structure.
Am I misinterpreting the package capabilities or making an obvious error (like somehow declaring the attribute class?)

Thanks

Dan Auerbach

970-491-2414
Graduate Degree Program in Ecology