Re: [igraph] Algorithm for maximal.cliques in R

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Algorithm for maximal.cliques in R
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:35:15 +0000

I am running some comparisons of network analysis packages and am curious as to how igraph is calculating maximal cliques in R?
Are you using igraph 0.5.2 or igraph 0.6? I have to admit that the approach taken by igraph 0.5.2 and older versions is... hmmm... at least suboptimal ;) Basically, maximal.cliques takes the complementer of the graph (every edge becomes a non-edge and vice versa) and looks for maximal independent vertex sets in the complementer -- this is due to the fact that we already had a function for maximal independent vertex sets, but we didn't have a routine for maximal cliques. In the 0.6 tree, I added the Bron-Kerbosch algorithm, which should be _much_ faster. The algorithm is implemented in C, so all the number crunching is done in the C layer, not in R.