Re: [igraph] Problem in reading and ploting networks

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Problem in reading and ploting networks
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:37:23 +0000

1) Regarding cairo for ploting, I have copied zlib1.dll, libpng12-0.dll, libcairo-2.dll into the "windows/systems32", and installed pycairo-1.4.12-2.win32-py2.6. I configured in Pydev in Eclipse, want to use "import cairo", but it fails. Also, I tried in Python IDLE, the same problem happened. The "plot" command fails to run.
The fact that "import cairo" fails when you type it in Python IDLE shows that there is indeed a problem with the way you installed the Cairo bindings of Python -- so this error seems to have nothing to do with igraph. igraph tries to import Cairo just like you did by typing "import cairo", and when it fails, it simply disables the plotting engine. So, you must make sure that "import cairo" works in IDLE. Do you get any error message when typing "import cairo" in IDLE?

2) I also used the following command to read networks in graphML and Pajek format, but all are not successful.
GraphML support is not enabled by default in the Windows installer you downloaded for igraph -- this is because GraphML support requires a few other libraries as well, and I did not bundle them together with the Windows installer so far. This is likely to change with the next release, so the next igraph will have proper GraphML support on Windows as well. In the meanwhile, there's an updated installer for python-igraph 0.5.2 that includes GraphML support. (Note that this link might go dead sooner or later):

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1911856/python-igraph-0.5.2.win32-py2.6.exe

gig = igraph.Graph.Read("test2.net", "pajek")
Hmmm... can you please send this data file to my private email address (not to the list)? I would like to check whether it works on my machine or not.