Re: [igraph] Re: Question about community detection

From: zhengjun chen
Subject: Re: [igraph] Re: Question about community detection
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:01:38 -0500

Hi,

I choose the community division with highest modularity value. What I find is that some communities just contain one node.
So, I am wondering it is a good community division or not. So, is there any other way to demonstrate the community division is good or not?

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Gábor Csárdi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM, zhengjun chen <zhjchen.sa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using Modularity to evaluate the goodness of community division.
> In order to get the largest modularity, a while loop is used to record the
> modularity value of different "step", which is a parameter of function
> "igraph_community_leading_eigenvector()". In such way, I record 100
> modularity value, and find the largest one corresponding to the "step" value
> 48. I initialized the membership vector and arpack option parameters for
> every loop.
> However, to verify the result, I set the "step" to 48, and rerun the program
> (just one time). The modularity value I get this time is different from that
> obtained by the while loop. I am a bit confused.

Hi,

one possible explanation is that the eigenvector solver is quite
unstable, and might result different splits. But it is fine to run it
a couple of times and then keep the version with the highest
modularity.

Gabor

Gabor Csardi <address@hidden>     UNIL DGM