Re: [igraph] Odd error message

From: Peter Flom
Subject: Re: [igraph] Odd error message
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:37:27 -0400

Thanks!  That's a good trick to know.

Peter
Peter Flom
Peter Flom Consulting
http://www.statisticalanalysisconsulting.com/
http://www.IAmLearningDisabled.com

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden
On Behalf Of Tamás Nepusz
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:58 PM
To: Help for igraph users

Hi Peter,

> The links in the file were 13 digit numbers (they are ISBNs). Excel (which
is how the data were stored) converts these to scientific notation. Even if
I convert it to a number, when I store it as a .csv file, the scientific
notation returns.
Have you tried adding an apostrophe before the ISBN in Excel? (E.g., instead
of 9783161484100, write '9783161484100 - note the leading apostrophe). As
far as I know, this trick forces Excel to treat the number as a string (and
it won't include the apostrophe), so it will be saved correctly, without any
scientific notation.