Re: [igraph] Contracting two vertices into one in Igraph - error

From: Priyanka Kadiyala
Subject: Re: [igraph] Contracting two vertices into one in Igraph - error
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 07:17:51 -0600

Hi Tamas,

Thank you for your help. I understand this function better, but here's the other problem:

Of the vertices 1:26, I can also choose two nodes that are not consecutive, as in, I can choose to merge (1,5) or (7,18) into a single vertex. Can this be done?

Thank you for getting back to me! I really appreciate it!

Best,
Krishna.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Tamás Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
> And after I pick two nodes, say 25, 26, which have multiple edges between them, I'm trying to merge them into a single vertex:
The right contraction vector in this case is:

c(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,25)

The reason is as follows. In the contraction vector, the i-th element must contain the _new_ ID of vertex i of the _old_ graph (making sure that the new IDs are in a continuous range from 1 to the desired number of vertices in the new graph). This is to allow making several contractions and permutations in a single step. Since the _new_ ID of every vertex except your vertex 26 must stay the same, the first 25 elements of the vector are 1:25. The 26th element must be 25 because you want the new ID of vertex 26 to become 25 (since you merged that into vertex 25).

In general, if you want to merge vertex v into vertex u (assuming that v > u), you will need a contraction vector as follows:

vec <- c(1:(v-1), u, v:(vcount(g)-1))

If v < u, just swap u and v and do the same thing.