Re: [igraph] Limiting Community Size During Community Detection

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Limiting Community Size During Community Detection
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:34:24 -0500

Hi,

this is not really straightforward, because most algorithms just want to find dense subgraphs, and although these tend to be small, this is of course not always the case.

Maybe community finding is not exactly what you need. You can take a look at spectral partitioning, if you know the number of communities you want to get.

Alternatively, you can try methods that give you a full dendrogram (walktrap or fastgreedy in igraph), and then cut the dendrogram in a way that you don't have big communities. Depending on your data, this might give a lot os isolate vertices, though.