Re: [igraph] Doubt betweenness {igraph}

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Doubt betweenness {igraph}
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:54:52 +0100

> I am graduating from PUC Minas Brazil and my work theme of completion is on
> the R language, specifically on the package IGRAPH. I wonder if you can help
> me understand how R calculates the centrality of edges in the function below:
The calculation is not implemented in R; it is implemented in C and R just
calls the compiled C code. As far as I know, the implementation is based on the
following algorithm:

Ulrik Brandes: A Faster Algorithm for Betweenness Centrality. Journal of
Mathematical Sociology 25(2):163-177, 2001.
http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/algo/publications/b-fabc-01.pdf

The paper focuses on the betweenness scores of the nodes, but the same idea can
be used to calculate the betweenness scores of the edges as well.