Re: [igraph] working with bipartite graphs

From: Bernie Hogan
Subject: Re: [igraph] working with bipartite graphs
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:18:43 +0100

On this note, I've wondered about whether there's a cheap way to optimize this.

In these projections there is usually a complete graph between all co-attendees of an event (or co-members at l1 of whatever at l2). But these are rarely meaningful on their own. Thus, whenever I do a one mode projection, the first thing I typically do is filter to edge weight >=2. Now, doing this cuts out about 80-90% or more of the ties in one fell swoop.

Would it not be possible to have such a technique embedded at the lowest levels so that I am only returned networks where there is >1 weight to the edge? It might require a different algorithm to optimize, but it would certain mean significantly less edges in the resulting graphs.

Take care,
BERNiE

Dr Bernie Hogan
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford