Re: [igraph] Correlation between eigenvector (evcent) and vertex strengt

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Correlation between eigenvector (evcent) and vertex strength (graph.strength)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:03:10 +0100

Your graph contains many components, and the whole eigenvector centrality
concept is ill-defined in case of disconnected graphs because the eigenvector
centralities of different components are independent of each other (so there
exist an infinite number of possible solutions for the equations that govern
the calculation of the eigenvector centrality, and igraph may converge to any
of those).

igraph’s eigenvector solver seems to favour larger components; for instance, if
you take the union of a ring graph of size 4 and a geometric random graph with
100 vertices and a radius of 0.125, you will see that the vertices in the ring
will almost always have zero eigenvector centrality, even though the average
degree of both components is roughly the same.

Anyway, if you really want to calculate eigenvector centrality for your
network, you are strongly advised to do it for each component separately.