Re: [igraph] A better workflow for exploratory network analysis (igraph,

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] A better workflow for exploratory network analysis (igraph, RedeR, gephi)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:46:08 -0500

Hi Stephan,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Stephan Schlögl <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
This question is about network analysis workflows and how to properly integrate different tools for network analysis and network visualization. I was not sure where to post this question, but since igraph is most central to my workflow and I'm going to stick with it, I decided to post here.

[...]

My little pipe dream is a RedeR-like extension for igraph with gephi layout algorithms. So here are some first ideas to get to that.

+Gephi has a plugin which allows to stream graphs into Gephi. If I understand that right there is a way to stream graphs to gephi in igraph for Python?

This I can do relatively easily I think. Or you can also git it a try, if you want. Would you like to open an issue for it at https://github.com/igraph/igraph/issues? Thanks.

+Gephi toolkit is a Java library which be can used to control gephi. This might be a way to automate things by calling this library from within R?

I am not sure about this. Ideally, one could create an R package that contains Gephi toolkit, and then use that to control gephi and send graphs to it. But isn't this exactly what the graph streaming is doing? Why is this solution better?

+Since RedeR and Gephi are Java maybe there is a way to use the Gephi layout algorithms from within RedeR?

This I have no idea about.

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction!

I would vote for the first option right now. It seems easy enough, and useful, and since we already have it in Python, it would be nice to have it in R as well.

I appreciate any help that you can provide
stephan