Re: [igraph] Non-Backtracking Matrix

From: Pierre-Andre Maugis
Subject: Re: [igraph] Non-Backtracking Matrix
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:56:04 +0000

Hello,

Thanks you for the advices, they proved really helpful. The line.graph function does the trick. It is most likely not the best solution, but it works sufficiently well for me.

Here is how I do it in R.

get.backtrack <- function(g){

n <- ecount(g)

g <- as.directed(g)

h <- line.graph(g)

P <- rbind(1:n,(n+1):(2*n))

P <- cbind(P,P[c(2,1),])

h <- h - edges(E(h,P))

get.adjacency(h)

}

I assume I have a simple undirected graph g and take the line-graph of its directed counterpart. Then I remove the "backtracking paths". To do so, I store them in a matrix P. The way I do it is not really clean, but it works, most likely because of the way the directed graph is created from the undirected one, and because of the way the line graph is created from the original one. As I understood it, the node labels in the line-graph are the edge numbers in the edgelist of the original graph. And when making a directed graph of an originally undirected one, the new edges are stacked in the same order as the original ones at the end of the edgelist.

Thanks agains,
Pierre-André