Re: [igraph] python-igraph 1.0?

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] python-igraph 1.0?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 11:50:43 +0200

Dear Alex,

So I've had some time to look into the situation a bit. It seems like
there was no official release of the C interface since 0.7.1, so in
practice, the latest-and-greatest stable version of the C interface
still contains the "old" Fruchterman-Reingold layout implementation.
That's a bummer because I cannot release a new version of the Python
interface with the new implementation, since the Python interface
always links to the C core of igraph that is on the user's machine (or
downloads and compiles the latest stable version of the C core if the
user did not install the C core yet).

On the other hand, the development version of the Python interface
(the one that you can get from Github) has already been updated to use
the new FR layout and not the old one. So, if you check out the source
code of both the C core and the Python interface from Github and
compile them, you should already have a version with the new FR
layout.

The other improvements in the C core that I could identify were:

[+] the Davidson-Harel layout (see Graph.layout_davidson_harel)
[-] the GEM layout
[+] the mindist argument of the neighborhood functions
[-] the igraph_all_simple_paths function
[-] the igraph_triangles function
[+] the random walk generator (see Graph.random_walk)

The ones that I marked with [+] are already in the development version
of the Python interface; the remaining ones are waiting to be ported.

All the best,