Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: Pitch bend, filter, sysex, LADSPA,...

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: Pitch bend, filter, sysex, LADSPA,...
Date: 08 Apr 2002 01:05:23 -0600

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 00:14, M. Nentwig wrote:

<cut>

> A realtime-midi synth should recover from faulty MIDI data.
> For example, imagine a 'note-on' with one byte missing (due to cosmic
> radiation or someone pulling a cable). Currently I'd guess, that the
> MIDI parser goes out of sync, because the next command byte slips into
> the position of parameter 2 and so on - the synth doesn't respond
> anymore.
> I haven't tried this yet myself, maybe I'm seeing problems, where there
> aren't any.

Thats what the MIDI command byte (bit 7 set) is for, to resynchronize
the MIDI byte stream. Of course this doesn't take care of missed
note-offs or incorrectly interpreted running status bytes. This is the
kind of stuff I'm going to be dealing with, when it comes to SwamiJam
though :) Reliably sending MIDI data over the internet should be a fun
experiment (though I'm sure many have already undertaken this task). I'm
thinking of keeping a ping time for the different clients involved, and
one could set a threshold at which a client should be ignored. If this
occurs the synth channels for that client would be reset (all notes off)
or perhaps just muted if its just a "brown out".

> It sends 63 and 64, respectively (even the manual says so). This is not
> a bug, it's completely logical. It just doesn't work :-)

It might be completely logical in that its doing what its supposed to.
But it seems kind of address@hidden up to me :) Bad bad keyboard. It should be
somewhat trivial to put a ALSA sequencer based MIDI filter in between
your keyboard and whatever you route it to. I've never written a MIDI
filter in ALSA, so I'm not sure if you would have to make the extra
connection or not to the new ports. My guess is you probably would. This
would seem like the correct place for this type of hack though, rather
than adding it to iiwusynth.

> I'll have a look at the keyboard manual, there must be a way to set up
> that box to send bank 0 or no bank at all.

I would hope so.. Good luck :) Lates..
        Josh Green