Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [iiwusynth-devel] LinuxTag demo and stuff

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [iiwusynth-devel] LinuxTag demo and stuff
Date: 09 May 2002 23:51:12 -0600

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 18:09, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> Josh Green wrote:
> > Since LinuxTag is less than a month away I thought it would be a good
> > idea to discuss what features are lacking with the current
> > Swami/iiwusynth combo. I would like to concentrate my development
> > efforts for the demo. Are you still planning on doing this Peter?
>
> I would love to. I'm sure if I can make the time for it.
> Also financially I'm in a bad shape... Anyway, I will try.

I also in financial bad shape. I wouldn't be real disappointed if you
didn't go.

> BTW, Does anyone has some nice musical examples. I keep using
> the same examples. Also, I mainly use iiwuplay since I'm not a
> passionate a keyboard player. Some cool soundfont that sound well
> even when played with one finger ;)

Hey with Swami you can use 2 fingers and some combinations of 3 :) It
would be cool to have a fully polyphonic computer keyboard. I have no
particular suggestions, except Vintage Dreams of course. Fluid.sf2
(128mb) has some nice sounding stuff :)

With the ALSA sequencer you can, in theory, connect any sequencing
program to iiwusynth/Swami. Of course you know this. I still haven't
found a nice sequencer for real time composition. Thats what I really
want. Is this kind of what you are shooting for Tim? Something like that
would be real cool for demoing. Just punch in a few notes and have them
loop, add another track, etc. Paul Davis' softwerk is nice and bloated
and hard to get working, but I like the idea.

If you did decide to demo Swami as well (provided you go to LinuxTag)
what would you want to show? I guess basic editing with the ability to
set generators and hear the changes while you make them. Whats the
status of modulators Markus? That would be real cool for a demo.
Changing loop points in real time would also be neat. I hope to get
Swami to the point of being complete enough for making a sound font
while also being stable, alpha testers anyone?

> I'm picking up on Swami again. I updated the CVS version of both
> swami and libsoundfont and I got this error while compiling Swami:
>
> Making all in libswami
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/swami/src/libswami'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `configure.in', needed by
> `Makefile.in'.  Stop.
>
> Seems like you forgot to add configure.in to CVS.

Nope. It no longer exists. Make a clean check out. libswami/Swami used
to be separate builds, now unified.

> Control change messages #120 and #123 should provide that. I'll put
> it on my TODO list ;)

I just re-enabled the "Driver Toggle" button (the little green light)
which starts and stops iiwusynth when things get fouled. This is one way
to stop stuck notes :) NOTE: Not in CVS yet.

> So far, I haven't had a lot of succes with Swami. The last version
> crashed when I opened the 2Mb soundfont from Creative Labs.
> I'll check the CVS version when you added the configure.in file.

Yes. There is a bit of debugging I need to do. But it sounds like you
were using a version from a while ago. Swami is an entire rebuild of
Smurf (which was built a bit at a time). Swami on the other hand has
largely been coded without testing along the way which is why there have
been some stability problems. GObject, libraries and object oriented
programming are also new concepts to me which doesn't help. I'm sure
things will iron out soon though.

Cheers!
        Josh Green