[iiwusynth-devel] Success!

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Success!
Date: 22 May 2002 00:44:39 -0600

I wrote this email but left it in my Drafts.. I see Markus has responded
to my last one already.

Yeah! I got real time effects working with iiwusynth and Swami :) I was
looking through iiwu_voice.c when I happened apon
'iiwu_voice_update_param' (should be in public header probably?). I
think Markus mentioned this before, but I couldn't find the email
anywhere. I'm now trying to figure out how the generator controls in
Swami should affect the voices in iiwusynth. Help would be appreciated.

Real time generator control would be a nice effect to show off at the
LinuxTag, so I'm making it priority. I'm not sure if I will finish the
modulator editor by then, but I think having real time effects without
them is just as good for a demo.

The problem I'm having is figuring out how the generator controls should
be associated with voices. The generator controls are tied to a
particular preset or instrument zone. Changing a generator might affect
only one voice (in the case of a non-global instrument zone) or several
for global preset zones, preset zones and global instrument zones.

Come to think of it, if a user starts messing with generator controls
for an instrument should it update all the presets, in real time, using
that instrument that are currently sounding.. Hmmm... I guess I could
also just make the generator control widget just update the current
temporary preset (the currently selected sound font item). Since this
feature is probably best suited to aid in setting parameters, this might
not matter that much. "Real" real-time controls could be provided via
modulators or a control that is tied to a particular MIDI channel rather
than a zone. Cheers.
        Josh Green