parking meter

From: Edgar Sampson
Subject: parking meter
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 21:01:11 +1100

On the contrary,the collapse of the one must necessarily drag the other down with it. Thiswould be done the moment Prussian Militarism had been finallydestroyed. When people attempt to answer this reasoning byhighfalutin talk about aesthetics, etc.
This sentiment, however, is not complex, but simpleand consistent.
Gradually our soldiers beganto think just in the way the enemy wished them to think.
Almostevery clerk was a Jew and every Jew was a clerk. Thus their rage and hatredagainst the infamous foe was increased.
The receptive powers of the masses are very restricted, and theirunderstanding is feeble. Germany was waging war for its very existence. In political matters itfrequently happens that feeling judges more correctly than intellect. It was only by slow stages that one could grow accustomedto this new world again. But I was a being without a name, one among eight millions.
They allowed no half-measureswhich might have given rise to some doubt. Germany was waging war for its very existence. It was quite obvious that the enemywas in a state of depression.
Therefore,just after my arrival in Munich I reported myself for service again.
During the War, propaganda was a means to an end.
It was no longer soeasy to demonstrate that the prospect of a German victory was hopeless.
Such people grow sick and tired of everything. They all told more or less the same story, with somevariations in the form of it. How long could Germany hold out in this competition?
Thus its struggle lies in attack ratherthan in defence.
In a similar way letters coming directly from home had long since beenexercising their effect. The metropolis, with its teemingmillions, was suffering from hunger. One could now judge the effects ofthis proselytizing movement step by step. They allowed no half-measureswhich might have given rise to some doubt. The metropolis, with its teemingmillions, was suffering from hunger.
The second question of decisive importance is this: To whom shouldpropaganda be made to appeal?
The lesson to be learned from this hadunfortunately no attraction for the geniuses on our own side. If they deny this fact they show themselves notonly impudent but also mendacious.
The better it does that, thebetter is the art of the poster as such.
But unfortunately there were certain otheraspects also in which this new world was different.
Later on it was looked upon as disturbing, but finally itwas believed.
One should be careful about contradicting established facts.
There was now no further necessity for theenemy to broadcast such letters in leaflet form.
The hospital authorities here must have known who and what hewas; and actually they did know. To be efficacious it had come from the home front. These weremostly dropped from aeroplanes which were used specially for thatpurpose. During this winter the front was somewhatquieter than usual.
And so this product of ours was not only worthless but detrimental.