caterpillar

From: Rudolph Horne
Subject: caterpillar
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:40:16 -0500

That night the braves got gloriously drunk. Today he was a scout under orders from Cochise.
He knew that he could do so; therewas no guess work about it. Theenemy was ten miles south of camp, Shoz-Dijiji was ten milesnorth. There was a twinklein his blue eyes as he nodded to them.
They are both young, butso too was Go-yat-thlay when first he went upon the wartrail. Come out, Juh, he cried, and Shoz-Dijiji will kill you! Only the trees and the birds and thesquirrels, it seemed, inhabited this sylvan world. Ish-kay-nay should have been a boy, said Shoz-Dijiji,laughing, for already she is a mighty hunter.
He is, too, as good an Apacheas you or I. This was buta fraction of the countless things that Shoz-Dijiji knewabout his own country. Nakay-do-klunni will bless itin the morning.
The squaws gathered up their few belongingspreparatory to taking to the mountains if hard pressed. Theothers grunted acknowledgment of the truth of thatstatement. Hisheart was in no mood for play nor for any of the softerthings of life.
You lie, Juh, he said; I am not a white-eyes.
With my own eyes I, Victorio, saw him slay andscalp. Shoz-Dijiji did not return to the women and children.
Often the old war chief talked to Shoz-Dijiji of theexploits of his people.
With thetwang of the string the arrow leaped to its mark and afterit came Shoz-Dijiji.
They layaround the camp and there was much quarreling.
Instead he walked alone out of the camp andup a gaunt, parched canyon. Why not make capital of his enemys predicament?
Instantly the whole pack was after him and Ish-kay-nay wasin the van.
Knee to knee raced Shoz-Dijiji andIsh-kay-nay. They were Apachesand they were on the high road to becoming warriors.
Say that he is not white or Shoz-Dijiji will kill you! Firelight glistened uponsweat-sreaked bodies. Better wouldit have been to have spent days and nights in preparation,but now this could not be. Make your medicine, strongmedicine, in the high places.
Therewas little noise, but there seemed to be a great deal ofconfusion. The squaws, watching, movedrestlessly, the spell of the dance was taking its hold uponthem. Did he not warn the tribes and save them fromthe Mexicans.
Stolidly, without a change ofexpression, they turned and walked away. Send then for all the great chiefs of the Apaches.
It was a largegrave with its sides walled up with stone to a height ofthree feet. And always there was the wailingand the sound of the es-a-da-ded.
Shoz-Dijiji andGian-nah-tah await the answer of the great war chief of theApaches.