info-gnu-chess

New book file elimates error messages.

From: Sternbach, William [IT]
Subject: New book file elimates error messages.
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:12:48 -0400

Simon,

I downloaded the new book file which you suggested.

When I built the new book.dat, using the new book eliminated
the error messages I was receiving about illegal moves.

Thank you.

One interesting hobby I have is to let chess programs play
each other.  Its very easy.
You run both programs simultaneously, change program #1 so
you play black.  On program #2 you play white.
Since White always moves first, program #1 move first.
Then you make that move on program #2 and vice versa.

I am careful to keep the poly's the same on both programs.

I have several different chess playing programs.
It will be interesting to see if gnuchess becomes the champion.

I built gnuchess using GCC Version 3.2 using maximum optimization.
I have a Compaq Pentium III 733 MHZ pc with 384 MB ram running
Windows 2000 Professional.  Gnuchess with a poly of 8 moves in about
8 seconds on average.  I may experiment with higher poly's to improve
gnuchess play even more.

- Bill