info-gnu-chess

Re: <program output> || gnuchess ??

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: <program output> || gnuchess ??
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:05:29 +0100

Anders Carlsson wrote:
> Peter Billam <peter@pjb.com.au> writes:
>

>>The Xboard protocol doesn't seem to be mentioned in `man xboard`:
>>is there an RFC, or a convenient web page that defines it ?
>

> If nothing else, you can get the ICS client icsDrone (RoboFICS)
> which connects Gnuchess/Crafty/etc with FICS and other ICSes,
> usable for interfacing a chess computer with a chess server.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/icsdrone/
>
> At least the part of the connection to the chess engine should
> be according to the XBoard protocol, I presume?

The Xboard protocol definition I use is in the Xboard source tar ball,
but I expect Tim has a copy on his website somewhere www.tim-mann.org.

icsdrone uses xboard protocol, it doesn't work with early versions of
GNU Chess 5, because GNU Chess had a bug in the "white" and "black"
commands which aren't used by Xboard any longer (IIRC), but it is fixed
in recent version of GNU Chess 5.

Most of the free software engines support Xboard protocol, some support
other protocols, but there is a dearth of free software GUI's and other
interfaces using the alternative protocols.

I'd say Xboard protocol is good for simple interfaces - but for more
complex applications someone needs to either extend it, or use a
different protocol.