Re: Agent and mail groups

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Agent and mail groups
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:58:54 +0200

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

> Hey ho.
>
> I have a simple question about agent and mail groups.  I thought it
> might be nice to have my IMAP groups agentized, for when my laptop is
> offline.  But I'm a bit uncertain about whether I ought to set the
> mail groups' category to enable expiration or not.
>
> I want the mail groups to be just as they are when I'm plugged in.
> When an email is expired from the mail server, will it also be removed
> from the agent copy or not?  Is agent just sucking in new data, with
> expiration the only means of removing old?

IIRC, "agent expiring" is used to make the agent cache smaller.  E.g.,
to keep the cache limited to the last months worth of data, or so.

There might be some problems getting the agent to understand that
server-expired articles really has gone missing.  I think entering and
exiting a groups when plugged in should take care of it, but I guess
it is not well tested.

(I do use agent with IMAP, but I rarely delete anything on the server,
so I wouldn't typically discover this problem.)