Re: Unicode signs displayed as _u25cf_ etc

From: Josef Oswald
Subject: Re: Unicode signs displayed as _u25cf_ etc
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:48:11 GMT

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> Josef Oswald <NO.SPAM.for.gnus@chello.at> writes:
>
>> Looking for some gnus code I cam across this site
>>
>> http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~heimdall/gnus.html
>>
>> ;; Wenn Emacs/Gnus unter X11 läuft, dann die Thread-Pfeile mit
>> ;; Unicode-Zeichen darstellen.
>> ;(show  Thread-arrows in Unicode signs)
>>
>> (if window-system
>>     (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-root "\u25cf "
>
> Your web browser must be mangling the strings -- it should've shown
> the actual unicode glyphs, not some bogus \u... stuff.  Try with
> another browser (Mozilla displays the characters correctly for me).

Sorry the above is seen in XEmacs when I edited ~/.gnus

The Browser I use too displays  the _correct_ sign. Because I saw how
nice it looked I decided to copy it. :-)

> Also remember to specify the encoding of your .gnus when you've pasted
> the proper strings:

>From the same website I took also this:

;;* Niedrigste mögliche Kodierung wählen. Wenn möglich iso-8859-1,
;;* wenn nicht möglich dann iso-8859-15, wenn das net klappt, dann
;;* UTF-8.

(setq mm-coding-system-priorities
      '(iso-latin-1 iso-latin-9 mule-utf-8))

and put it into ~/.gnus

from this I assumed that that was all what is needed.

> ;;; -*- mode: emacs-lisp -*-  -*-coding: utf-8 -*-

I saw the line too as it was the _very_ first line but I didn't think it
was relevant for my needs.

Now I'm stuck again as I don't know if I need this in .gnus or in
init.et for XEmacs. The other problem is, how to write it correctly :-/

Thanks for your help :-)

Josef Oswald also -> gnus@chello.at  :-)
--
Gnus gives you all the opportunity you could possibly want for
shooting yourself in the foot.