Re: How to byte-compile GNUS on Debian

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: How to byte-compile GNUS on Debian
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:43:58 +0200

On 22 oct 2004, Emre Sevinc wrote:

> Hi,

Yo,

> Whenever I start GNUS by using M-x gnus it tells me that I
> should byte-compile it. How can I do that? I've browsed FAQ, it

Yeah I used to see that too. IMO, there were problems when you
installed gnus from the debian package.

> is talking about .gnus file. At the beginning I didn't have a
> ~/.gnus file. I've just created one and put:
>
> (gnus-compile)

Nah ! `gnus-complie' is not used for that matter. `gnus-complie'
is used to compile user defined format variables.

> and then "M-x byte-compile-file RET ~/.gnus" RET but nothing

Nothing to do with that. What gnus tells you, is only that the
gnus package --ie. gnus.el & co, are not compiled.

> seems to change and whenever start Emacs and GNUS it tells me
> that I should byte-compile it. Maybe it is because of the
> problematic apt-get procedure which returned some conf. errors
> but nevertheless installed gnus.

Yeah, you got the point. Gnus has been badly installed thus
wasn't byte-compiled as it should have been.

> My system details:

> Linux debian 2.4.18 #1 Mon Mar 24 02:00:40 EET 2003 i686
> GNU/Linux Debian GNU/Linux (SID - unstable) Gnus 5.10.6 GNU
> Emacs 21.3.1
>
> I think the problematic part is that:

> Setting up gnus (5.10.6-8) ... install/gnus: Ignoring emacs.
> install/gnus: Ignoring emacs20. install/gnus: Byte-compiling
> for emacs21...found emacs21
> ../usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/gnus: line 77: trap:
> exit: invalid signal specification emacs-package-install:
> /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/gnus emacs21 emacs20
> emacs21 failed at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-install
> line 30, <TSORT> line 1. dpkg: error processing gnus
> (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned
> error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing:
> ilisp gnus E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code
> (1)
>
> Here's the COMPLETE output of apt-get install gnus (I think
> errors about ilisp package can be ignored, I just can't get rid
> of them whenever I install a package):

My recommendation would be to deinstall (purge) ilisp package
since I am pretty sure it is the culprit. Then rerun apt-get
intall --reinstall gnus should do the trick. Oh and, what about
removing emacs20 ? Do you need it ?

Yours.
--
"sometimes i feel like we're making emacs better and better because we don't
 know what to do with emacs once it is finished."

    -- AlexSchroeder on #emacs @OPN