Re: Duplicate suppression, other processing at split time

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Duplicate suppression, other processing at split time
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:46:01 -0400

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005, dmaze@mit.edu wrote:

> David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:
>
>> If I wind up with the same message delivered to me twice, can I cause
>> the second message to get dropped at split time?  (In particular using
>> nnimap-split-fancy, but I could probably adapt other techniques people
>> have for doing this.)  Is other processing possible?
>
> Having Read The Fine Manual a little more, it looks like this is very
> straightforward to do for nnmail, but not necessarily so
> straightforward for nnimap.  Can I do info://gnus/Washing+Mail as
> nnimap splitting happens?

I don't think that will work.  You could try, however, to add
duplicate suppression to the gnus-registry and use that; I am thinking
of something like this in the fancy split:

(: gnus-registry-split-duplicates "duplicates") ; or 'delete

The problem is what to do when the message has no message-ID of its
own, as you mention.  It should be pretty easy to generate a unique
message-ID for the registry based on unique information such as the
subject and sender, while preventing collisions from multiple messages
with the same subject and sender.  Perhaps the time or the message's
backend information could be used.

Ted