Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:36:13 +0900

>>>>> In <868xuen48f.fsf@no.where> My Haz wrote:

> use M-Q to make the paragraphs fit :D

Or you can use `W Q' in the summary buffer.

> Hello,

> I decided to start following my news at home on my Windows XP
> computer. Installed XEmacs 21.4.18 and used its package handling
> system to download Gnus 5.10.7 and the packages required by it.
> Everything fine so far but not after this point.  When I start Gnus
> first everything appeas fine but as it starts connecting to
> nntp-server it freezes.  Actually, freezing is bit misleading
> expression as Xemacs obviously is doing something since it uses like
> 90% of CPU-time.  Gnus however, wont advance from this point.  I tried
> waiting for quite a while.

> I used a simple port forwading script

Using ssh?

> and I can tell the connection is formed and nntp-server sends reply:

> 200 Sonera corp Internet services -- http://fi.soneraplaza.net/
> (Twister v2.0.7. 348)\r\n

> Gnus just does seem to react to this in any way.  It never sends
> anything back to the server.

> Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it?

How have you set the `gnus-select-method' variable?  If the nntp
port is forwarded to the port number 1190 in the localhost named
"localhost", you may want to have set it as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "localhost" (nntp-port-number 1190)))

You can consult the Gnus Info manual for all kind of such things.