Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post

From: Kristian Kerola
Subject: Re: XEmacs + Gnus problem on Win XP <-- knit picking your post
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:37:07 GMT

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

I used a simple port forwading script
Using ssh?

No, it is a little Perl-script that prints out on screen
all the traffic it passes through.  That is how I know
that NNTP-server sends a correct reply in the beginning
of a connection but Gnus/XEmacs doesn't react to it.

Maybe I expressed myself badly in my previous post,
but I don't get Gnus working with or without port forwading.

How have you set the `gnus-select-method' variable?  If the nntp
port is forwarded to the port number 1190 in the localhost named
"localhost", you may want to have set it as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "localhost" (nntp-port-number 1190)))

I don't see how I could have messed that one up, since like I said
I correctly get the first response line from NNTP-server.

You can consult the Gnus Info manual for all kind of such things.

Which I indeed did for 2 days before posting my first question here.

I guess my followup question is: Is anyone actually using Gnus
on Win XP and XEmacs?  Does the combination work?

--
krisu