Visiting mbox file temporarily

From: Geoff Kuenning
Subject: Visiting mbox file temporarily
Date: 17 Nov 2006 01:31:19 -0800

I archive my mail in mbox format, and don't have a very good method
for browsing those archives.  It seems to me that the nnmbox package
ought to be able to let me browse them in a read-only mode.  However,
my preliminary feeble experiments haven't been successful, and I don't
have the time to wade through nnmbox.el right now.

First, is it possible (and simple) to point nnmbox at an arbitrary
file?  Second, is it reasonable to use nnmbox for this kind of
browsing?  The interface I'd like is something like:

    M-x nnmbox-visit-file RET ~/mail/archives/foobar RET

at which point I would be in a friendly GNUS interface with a summary
buffer and the ability to wash articles.  I don't mind hacking up a
bit of elisp to provide scaffolding to support this idea.

(Suggestions for alternate archival formats will be appreciated, but
since I have many years of old archives, the above question still
applies.)
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

Microsoft's motto: "We Have Worked Out All The Buggs"
        -- Dave Barry