Re: Visiting mbox file temporarily

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Visiting mbox file temporarily
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:11:06 +0100

On Fri, Nov 17 2006, Geoff Kuenning wrote:

>> (gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group
>>  "some-name" '(nndoc "/path/to/mbox" (nndoc-article-type mbox)))
>
> This one doesn't work for me.  It crashes inside gnus-list-of-unread-articles,
> when it tries to do "while (<= first last) ..." and both first and
> last are nil.  I haven't yet figured out what I'm doing wrong here.

I can't reproduce this.  `gnus-list-of-unread-articles' has been
changed since Gnus 5.9 (which is quite old).  Currently, the end of
`gnus-list-of-unread-articles' reads:

    ;; And add the last unread articles.
    (while (<= first last)
      (setq unread (cons first unread)
            first (1+ first)))
    ;; Return the list of unread articles.
    (delq 0 (nreverse unread))))

If you can reproduce it with a current Gnus version, please report it
as a bug.

>> `C-u G f /path/to/mbox m'
>
> But this one works like a charm.  I don't even need the C-u because
> nndoc defaults the type to "guess".

"guess" sometimes fails, e.g. if the first message is a multipart MIME
message.

> There's a minor nuisance in that I have to kill the group after I
> visit it, but that's not a big deal.

I'd use topics mode an move the group to a collapsed topic.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)