Re: Gnus and Gmail

From: Shanks N
Subject: Re: Gnus and Gmail
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:10:48 +0530

Angelina Carlton <debian@magma.ca> writes:

> I have both of those utilities installed.
> Now it hangs after re-writing the address..
>
> If I then C-g gnus will hang on the sending of the mail..
> Sending via mail...
>
> Is there a way to make this process more verbose?
> debugging messages or something?
> There is smtp buffer after I C-g the second time but it only contains
> QUIT^M or something like that.

Have you tried with msmtp?  Admittedly mine is on Windows/cygwin and
with the following setup, I'm able to send and receive emails through
Gnus and gmail.  For sending emails, with the following msmtprc.txt
file, and setting the same in emacs, I was able to send emails.

And on the gnus.general list, there was a patch offered to message.el
so that it can take extra args to handle the posting styles issue for
msmtp.

#msmtprc.txt
account default
host smtp.gmail.com
auth on
user dumo@gmail.com
password xxxxxx
port 587
tls on
logfile c:\msmtplog.txt

No Gnus v0.6
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-04-17 on LAPTOP

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
;;;;use this if you have gnutls-cli installed
(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "dumo@gmail.com"
             :password "xxxxxx"
             :stream ssl)))
;;;;use this if you have fetchmail installed
;;(eval-after-load "mail-source"
;;  '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(file :path "/var/spool/mail/dumo")))

;;if retrieving from spool, delete temp file after 1 days
(setq mail-source-delete-incoming 1)
(setq mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm nil)
(eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))
(setq sendmail-program "c:/gnu/bin/msmtp.exe")
;; (setq starttls-gnutls-program "/usr/bin/gnutls-cli")
;; (setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
;; (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
;; (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
;; (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "dumo@gmail.com"
"xxxxxx")))
;; (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
;; (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
;; (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

(setq mail-host-address "gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems set to t if needed
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
;;;set the level of messages really high
(setq gnus-verbose 10)
(setq gnus-verbose-backends 10)

Sending from Gnus with gnutls didn't work but it appears to be a known
problem in Windows.  At least from what was posted in the gnutls
list.

In summary, you can post through the combination of Gnus + msmtp and
receive mails  through Gnus  + gnutls-cli or Gnus + fetchmail.

This is on windows where things *nix don't play so well, even with
cygwin installed.  So, if you're on a *nix platform, things should be
that much easier.

regards,
Shanks