Gnus and Gmail

From: Angelina Carlton
Subject: Gnus and Gmail
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:18:11 -0500

Hello,
I would like to send and receive all my gmail without having to use a
webrowser and to use Gnus instead.

I have configured fetchmail to receive my gmail and drop it in my mail
spool and Gnus can read this without a problem.

The only problem now is sending from the gmail account.
First I need to make it appear that I am using the gmail account when
replying to mail originating from gmail.

As I understand it, I can use a posting-style for this? Does this look
correct?

,----
| (setq gnus-posting-styles
|    '((".*"
|       (name "Angelina Carlton")
|       (address "debian@magma.ca")
|       (signature-file "/home/orchid/.signature"))
|      ("^nnml.*gmail"
|       (name "bzgirl")
|       (address "bzgirl@gmail.com")
|       (signature-file "/home/orchid/.signature.bzgirl"))))
`----

The next step is much harder for me to figure out, I found a guide on
the internet (http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail) and use this:

,----
"bzgirl@gmail.com" "PASSWORD)")))
|                       (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
|                        (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
|                         (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465))
|                 ((string-match "bzgirl@example.org" from)
|                   ;; Use local sendmail
|                   (message "Using local sendmail")
|                    (setq message-send-mail-function
`message-send-mail-with-sendmail))
|                 (t
|                   (error
|                      (concat "Don't know which mail server to use for "
|                                from)))))))
|     (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'fs-change-smtp)
`----

I think the posting style works (haven't been able to send a test mail to
check) because the headers look right, but when I issue C-c C-c gnus
then hangs with the message "Sending Mail..." in the mini-buffer.

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net