Re: Can't show up x-faces on WinXP installation

From: Rud1ger Sch1erz
Subject: Re: Can't show up x-faces on WinXP installation
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:35:11 +0100

> Please don't use outdated CVS versions.  There are current version on
> <http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html> and I heard that there
> will be Windows binaries for the pretest versions on
> <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/> soon.

Didn't find this before. I thought, the sourceforge version is the
newest available on W32. Anyway, I've pulled the newest build from
ourcomments.org and X-Face support works fine with this version. So,
my problem is solved.

[...]
> I don't have a windows to test it, but by looking at the code it seems
> that you need to install windows versions of the uncompface and
> icontopbm executables.

Yes, I knew that already and installed it on my machine, as I wrote in
my first message.

> If a windows user could provide us concrete
> information (download URLs, ...), we could improve the manual.

I use compface-1.5.2 from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/compface.htm

It comes as a W32 install kit: compface-1.5.2.exe

icontopbm can be found in Netpbm tools found at:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/netpbm.htm

It comes also as a W32 install kit: netpbm-10.27.exe

After installing the packages by just starting the executables, you
have to extend the PATH environment variable on your system to allow
emacs, to find them. Normally they install in:
c:\programme\gnuwin32\bin

HTH,
Rudiger