Re: HTML Emails

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: HTML Emails
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:05:02 +0200

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

Hi Randy,

> What I'd like to do is, when I'm in the summary buffer, have the body
> of all HTML messages suppressed - only the sender, subject,
> etc. (i.e., the header) should be displayed.

You could use

  (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
        '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched"))

which supresses viewing the HTML part and displays the plain-text part
instead.

> Then if I decide it's from a trusted source, I'll invoke a key
> sequence to spawn firefox to read the message.

If you'd use the development version of gnus, you could invoke `K H'
then, which opens the message in a browser.

> How to do?

If you upgrade to the devel-version you get that for free.

> PS: When I substituted "firefox" for "w3m" I get
>
>   Wrong type argument: listp, firefox
>
> in the minibuffer.

Yes, the variable only accepts a fixed set of values, firefox is none of
them.

,----[ C-h v mm-text-html-renderer RET ]
| mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
| Its value is w3m
|
| Documentation:
| Render of HTML contents.
| It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
| The defined renderer types are:
| `w3'   : use Emacs/W3;
| `w3m'  : use emacs-w3m;
| `w3m-standalone': use w3m;
| `links': use links;
| `lynx' : use lynx;
| `html2text' : use html2text;
| nil    : use external viewer.
`----

Oh, the last thing is interesting.  What happens when you set it to nil?
Does it use firefox then?  But be warned, this might be a security issue
if it openes FF unconditionally.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.