Re: multiple Gmail accounts + nnimap + ~/.authinfo

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: multiple Gmail accounts + nnimap + ~/.authinfo
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:53:01 -0500

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:10:33 +0800 CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> wrote:

CG> *On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:24:04 +0200
CG> * Also sprach Suno Ano <suno.ano@googlemail.com>:

>> Hi Ted, did someone else had an idea how to approach this issue? What
>> are we/you going to do now? I can help coding (but not before June I am
>> afraid ... /me lacks the time :-/)
>>
>> I think using nnimap with several gmail accounts is something quite a
>> lot people might want to do ...

CG> In your .gnus you can use LABELS for each account, and then in .authinfo
CG> you use label instead of server address. Something like:

CG> in .gnus:
CG> ,----
CG> |         (nnimap "gmail-account-1"
CG> |                       (nnimap-server-port 143)
CG> |                       (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
CG> |                       (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*"))
CG> |                       (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.emacs.d/.authinfo"))
CG> `----
CG> (You can add multiple accounts)

CG> then in .authinfo:

CG> ,----
CG> | machine gmail-account-1 login account1@gmail.com password yourpass port
143
CG> | machine gmail-account-2 login account2@gmail.com password yourpass port
143
CG> `----

I see now in nnimap.el:nnimap-open-connection:

    (let* (
[...]
           (user (netrc-machine-user-or-password
                  "login"
                  list
                  (list server
                        (or nnimap-server-address
                            nnimap-address))
                  (list port)
                  (list "imap" "imaps" "143" "993")))
           (passwd (netrc-machine-user-or-password
                    "password"
                    list
                    (list server
                          (or nnimap-server-address
                              nnimap-address))
                    (list port)
                    (list "imap" "imaps" "143" "993"))))
[...]

So the nnimap address is used after the server name.  I didn't see that
before when I looked at the code quickly.  Thanks for noting that.

Suno, sorry about that.  Let me know if Gao's solution works for you
please.

Ted