Re: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)

From: Brian Adkins
Subject: Re: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:56:25 -0400

Brian Adkins <lojicdotcom@gmail.com> writes:

> I am able to post new messages (such as this one) to newsgroups from
> Gnus, but when I attempt to post a followup message, I get the following
> error (from *Messages*):
>
> --- snip ---
> Sending...
> Sending news via newsgroups.bellsouth.net using nntp...
> 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
> Couldn't send message via news: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
> filter)
> --- snip ---
>
> I'm using the Bellsouth newsgroup server. I noticed a message from
> someone with an identical problem on gnu.emacs.gnus in August, 2006, but
> there was no resolution provided.
>
> Is anyone else using Gnus with the Bellsouth newsgroup server? Or has
> anyone received the following error when posting followup messages?
>
> Brian Adkins

After some more trial and error, I've discovered that whenever a
followup post gets rejected, there are multiple values for the
"references:" header. I deleted all but one of them but the first on a
followup post and that allowed the post to succeed, but the followup got
associated with the wrong message.

I suppose I can just delete all but the last in the future, but this
definitely seems like a kludge. Has anyone else experienced problems
posting messages with multiple "references" values?